It is the year 1840, a hungry year. When Jess Hope’s father dies, she sets out to get the family to America. But they run into problems, and these are hungry times. A sequel follows the Hope family voyage and arrival in the New World.
- For issues #184 and #185 the title changed from The Voyage of the Hungry Hopes to The Hungry Hopes In The New World.
- The Voyage of the Hungry Hopes/The Hungry Hopes in the New World – Reprinted in colour and translated to Dutch as “De grote reis van de familie Venema’ – Debbie (magazine folded after 6 issues leaving stories unfinished)
- Reprinted completely in black & white as ‘De grote reis van de familie Venema’ – Debbie Groot Verhalenboek 6 (1978)
- Dark Days for the Hungry Hopes – Debbie: #165 (10 April 1976) – #172 (29 May 1976)
- The Voyage of the Hungry Hopes/The Hungry Hopes in the New World – Debbie #180 (24 July 1976) – #185 (28 August 1976)
- In the Netherlands, ‘The voyage of the hungry Hopes’ was published as ‘De grote reis van de familie Venema’. Six episodes, in colour, were published in a weekly magazine called Debbie. After six issues, the magazine folded with all serials unfinished. In 1977 Debbie returned as a monthly magazine with complete stories. ‘De grote reis van de familie Venema’ was published as a complete story in black and white in 1978 in Debbie Groot Verhalenboek 6 in 1978.