Annabel Richards has lived with her cruel Aunt Flo and Uncle Fred Barlow since she was two and is forced to drudge for them and her cousins Celia and Shannon. When Annabel gets discovered by a modelling agency and is on the rise to television stardom, this leads to even more cruelty as her guardians set out to profit from her new job.
- When The Sad Star was remade as a picture story, its blurb said it was the most popular story-in-type to appear in Mandy. It was popular enough to be reprinted as a text story and as a picture story.
- The Sad Star (text story) – Mandy: #215 (27 February 1971) – (?)
- Reprinted as picture story – Mandy: #365 (12 January 1974) – #377 (06 April 1974)
- Reprinted as picture story – Mandy: #675 (22 December 1979) – #687 (15 March 1980)
- Reprinted as text story – Mandy: #984 (23 November 1985) – (?)
- Reprinted as picture story: Mandy #1147 (07 January 1989) – #1159 (1 April 1989)